– Garage Floor Coatings –
Garage floor coatings are extremely important if you want to increase the longevity of your concrete garage floor. These coatings are highly chemical resistant making them a great choice for garages where automotive chemicals are used. An old, stained garage floor can be completely transformed into a new work space with these coatings. For example, there are a wide variety of different garage floor coatings and systems on the market today. Unfortunately not all garage floor coatings hold up the same… more about that in a second.
Our Proprietary Method
Over the years I’ve created a proprietary process for installing garage floor coatings which is exclusive to Sweet Concrete. First I diamond grind the concrete to level it out and remove any oils that might be on the surface of the concrete. Secondly, the floor is thoroughly cleaned. Thirdly, we apply a deep penetrating sealer which permanently waterproofs the concrete and helps prevent delamination from moisture or mineral salts leeching up from under the slab. Other companies use an epoxy base coat which holds back hydrostatic pressure. However, this doesn’t prevent the root of the problem which is moisture in the concrete. After this penetrating sealer has cured (24-72 hours) we then install the garage floor coating.
Our Sweet Concrete garage floor coating is durable, scratch resistant, chemical resistant, and easy to maintain. Automotive chemicals, oils, paint, and other contaminants can be easily cleaned up using a pH neutral degreaser and warm water.
Here are just some of the garage floor coatings we offer for our clients in the greater Treasure Valley area including Boise, Meridian, Nampa, Eagle, Garden City, Caldwell, Homedale, Middleton, Kuna, Star, and surrounding areas.
Broadcast Coating Options
- Polyaspartic Flake Systems: Polyaspartic full broadcast flake systems are a great choice for an old garage floor. This opaque floor system will cover up any imperfections in the concrete like oil stains, rust stains, chips and cracks in the concrete, etc.. These systems are truly unique and come in a wide variety of flake color combinations. However, our system is unlike any other installation company in the valley. We use 100% polyaspartic coatings. That means NO EPOXY is used. Epoxies yellow over time even when they are coated with a polyaspartic coating. This makes them become brittle and they have more chance of chipping up in the future.
- Polyaspartic Quartz Systems: Our polyaspartic full broadcast quartz system is similar to our flake system. However, we use quartz granules instead of the polymer flakes. To clarify, the quartz granules make the system even more durable compared to the polymer flake. In addition, it’s more slip resistant as well.
Traditional Coating Options
- Colored Polyaspartic System: Solid colored polyaspartic coatings are great for covering up stains and and come in a eight different colors. This is a great option when a uniform look is desired. The colored polyaspartic base coat is coated with a gloss finish polyaspartic clear coat. I recommend adding a slip resistant texture to the clear coat. In addition to adding slip resistance, it also makes the floors more scratch resistant.
- Clear Coat System: A commercial grade, gloss urethane clear coat can be applied to your power troweled or diamond ground garage concrete. This is a great option when your garage floor is in good shape and the original concrete look is desired. I recommend adding a slip resistant texture to the clear coat. In addition to adding slip resistance, it also makes the floors more scratch resistant.
- Concrete Staining System: This process includes honing the concrete to remove surface stains and then staining the concrete with a water based concrete stain. The floor is then top coated with a three coat, commercial grade, gloss urethane sealer. This option accentuates preexisting stains in the concrete which can add character to the floor. Adding a slip resistant texture to the clear coat is recommended. In addition to adding slip resistance, it also makes the floors more resilient to scratches.
Deciding On An Option
You can check out the photos of these options on our home page and portfolio page. Now that you know your coating options, it’s time to give me a call to set up your free concrete audit. I can personally come out to evaluate your garage floor and give you a rough estimate for the service.
Purchase a pH neutral degreaser / cleaner for concrete floors here.